Re: colic after eating beetpulp

>I have just got in from spending approx. 3 hours with my gelding dealing with
>a mild colic. He was fed his beetpulp (2lb pellets 4 gallons water, 1 pound
>of cob, has been soaking since last night) He shares this with my mare(
>divided and fed in 3 seperate feed pans ) was fed at 5:00 pm. Also put out

One other thing we were told that I forgot to mention is that it's easy to see a colic after a meal and automatically blame the meal, ie 'we fed him carrots and he colicked so carrots must cause colic'.  They made a big deal about looking for other causes that are just exacerbated by eating, ie parasites in the gut, enteroliths, an existing displacement, etc.

Susan G