Re: Feeding My New Filly

> shape with lots of clover in it. Does a 3 yr old still need a higher
protein
> level than a mature horse? This one definitely has lots of growing to do.
> She is used to a largely grass diet supplemented with some 12/6 grain and
> alfalfa hay. Any suggestions from you breeders who are familiar with
feeding
> young horses would be appreciated. How much, how to supply sufficient
> calcium and protein, what type of grain mix to choose.

To all extents and purposes, a 3 year old is fed the same as an adult horse,
they don't need extra protein by that age.  The feeding plan you mentioned
is fine, but monitor her weight so she doesn't get too fat.  Good cover but
able to easily feel the ribs is about right.

I can't remember where you are, Bonnie, but if you're in the NE, I'm
teaching a seminar on broodmare/youngstock feeding management at Cornell
University in August.  Although it will 99% have to do with pregnant,
lactating and foals under one year, so probably more than you need, anyway.
:-)

Susan G