colic after eating beetpulp

I have just got in from spending approx. 3 hours with my gelding dealing with
a mild colic. He was fed his beetpulp (2lb pellets 4 gallons water, 1 pound
of cob, has been soaking since last night) He shares this with my mare(
divided and fed in 3 seperate feed pans ) was fed at 5:00 pm. Also put out
thier hay at the same time (80% timothy grass,20% alfalfa) He was very normal
about eating. After he ate his beetpulp and munch on some hay ( approx 2 hrs
later ) very uncomfortable. Resting pulse 40, NO qut sounds what so ever,
pale white qums. Wanting to roll. My husband and I were on it immediatly,
walking him (argueing about calling the vet :)  and after about a hour he
pooped and then 15 min later finally had roaring gut sounds. Returned to his
normal self wanting to eat grass. We continued to watch for another hour and
felt he was ok. We returned him to his paddock. I have been feeding him in
this manner for about 3 months and all has been well. I feel that it was just
an incident, and all will be well, but I am still concerned.  Thanks for
listening  Linda