Colic

At 12:56 AM 5/15/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I have just got in from spending approx. 3 hours with my gelding dealing with
>a mild colic. He was fed his beetpulp (2lb pellets 4 gallons water, 1 pound
>of cob, has been soaking since last night) He shares this with my mare(
>divided and fed in 3 seperate feed pans ) was fed at 5:00 pm. Also put out
>thier hay at the same time (80% timothy grass,20% alfalfa) He was very normal
>about eating. After he ate his beetpulp and munch on some hay ( approx 2 hrs
>later ) very uncomfortable. Resting pulse 40, NO qut sounds what so ever,
>pale white qums. Wanting to roll. My husband and I were on it immediatly,
>walking him (argueing about calling the vet :)  and after about a hour he
>pooped and then 15 min later finally had roaring gut sounds.

This may be an opportunity to discuss the merits of walking horses
that are experiencing colic.  Our vet of 20+ years says that he'd rather
the horse be walked as little as possible.  He doesn't even have any
objection if the horse lays down as long as it's watched and not allowed
to roll.

He says that life being what it is, he seems to have colics in streaks
and he may not be able to get to the barn as quickly as he'd like.  He
feels that an hour or more of constant walking while in pain may be
physically draining on the horse.

He also says far more horses were cured of colic on the way to the vet
school than were cured by the vet school.  He has suggested loading a
colicing horse in the trailer and taking it down a bumpy road.

Your thoughts?

Marv "The Snigtag you have reached is busy.  For a fee of 90 cents we'll
keep trying to connect you." Walker
http://MarketingThatPays.com