Re: RC: Auto vs. manual for towing

In a message dated Sat, 19 May 2001  7:50:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Truman Prevatt, PhD" <truman.prevatt@netsrq.com> writes:

<< Most dealers will tell you that an automatic is better designed for towing.  Their argument is the automatic will absorb the motion of the trailer with less long term wear than a manual. I know more than one person that has burned out a clutch and a manual transmission towing. >>

"Most" dealers live in highly populated areas with more stop-and-go driving.  Mountains are an entirely different scenario.  Personally, in well over half a million miles towing, I have yet to burn out a manual transmission, although I have certainly replaced a few clutches.  Have done the vast majority of my towing with a manual, but what little I've done with automatics, I've replaced three automatic trannies.

Bottom line--if you have to deal with a lot of city traffic, get an automatic.  If you have to deal more with mountains, or with extreme winter conditions, get a manual, and learn how to use it to its best advantage.

Heidi