Auto vs. manual for towing

I've had 2 GMCs with auto transmissions and now a Ford diesel with manual (6 forward gears) and I wouldn't ever go back to the auto transmissions.  I had some bad experiences towing with them, altho can't compare with Sandy's Tevis trip (what a nightmare, Sandy).   The Ford manual took that hill into Robie Park like it wasn't there.

The automatics were OK while towing a 2 horse aluminum but when I got a 3 horse LQ the transmission trouble began!

I suppose much depends upon the terrain you regularly tow in and of course the weight of your trailer.  I found that larger heavier trailers are too much for auto transmissions when you routinely haul over mountain passes.  A huge advantage manuals have is that you can gear down sufficiently to get down a steep hill, allowing you to stay off the brakes, whereas automatics aren't as efficient at this.

So I vote for manual transmissions even tho they're more tiring if you drive thru much city traffic.

Betty Edgar