Re: Auto vs. manual for towing

Betty, I agree, and also found that the low gears that Automatic transmissions have are just not low enough to help......have to rely more on brakes than I would like.  A friend of mine came over long, winding hill, in "low" gear with her automatic.  Even with her low gear, and using trailer brakes, she still burned out truck brakes by bottom of hill-too scary.

Karen
.  A huge advantage manuals have is that you can gear down sufficiently to get down a steep hill, allowing you to stay off the brakes, whereas automatics aren't as efficient at this.

So I vote for manual transmissions even tho they're more tiring if you drive thru much city traffic.

Betty Edgar