Re: RC: Scratches

In a message dated 1/11/01 1:50:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< Personally I think there's more than one type. >>

Sheesh, sounds like we really need more research from the veterinary end....
my vet does say it's a "mixed infection".  I have three horses in TOTALLY
different circumstances, all of whom battle scratches.  My endurance gelding
has gotten them twice, both times after some break in the skin.   My 17 year
old broodmare (on 9 acres of pasture) has had a very stubborn case this
winter.   My 18 month old colt (one acre turn out, stalled in terrible
weather) has them now.   These horses are not physically together, but all
have other horses (uninfected) hanging out with them.

I've talked to the vets, read the magic recipes on the net, asked around.
I've tried washing twice daily with Betadine, with Hibiclens, with diluted
bleach.   I've tried clipping and not clipping.   I've used Eqyiss (sp)
shampoo and spray.  I've used Desitin, Furacin, anti-inflammatories,
anti-bacterials and several antifungals (clotrimazole, griesafulvin, lamisil,
etc.).   For the record, I've not tried Teddy's recipe, though I'm game to do
so.   Bottom line in my experience has been that almost all treatment knocks
them back.  But when whatever-it-is-that-causes-'em is active, they come back
or flare up at the drop of a hat.    Then after a bit they go away and become
a non-problem for a while.

When they're bad, you can't ignore 'em - the whole lower leg will swell and
get hot, with crusty oozing sores in the fetlock.   But slopping your bucket
of soapy water out into the muddy pasture, washing and drying and doctoring
legs daily gets real old.  Very frustrating.   Love to hear from anyone who
has any new magic to try  :-)

pat