Re: RC: where to get ex-racehorse arabs?

Sorry, I just have to get into this.  First, arabians don't race until their
three years old, and with some of the smaller stables, they may even be four
or five before being put on the track.  I replied off the list to Tara and
told her of some friends in the Spokane area that have very nice race horses,
that incidentally I am going to look at this weekend.  These horses are heavy
Crabbet bred, have excellent bone and extremely nice dispositions.  They have
a total of about 15 horses, including three stallions the last time I visited
them (one was gelded this fall, hoping to keep his mind on his job).  You can
walk out into the corral with any of these horses and handle them, pick up
feet, etc without a halter.

 I became friends with the owners at the track a couple years ago because
they were really nice people who were very helpful to me when I was (still
am) thinking about getting into Arabian racing.  They are old endurance folk,
Tresa has more than  2000 miles from the 70's and 80's.  I have observed
their horses at the track, in the paddock being saddled, and after the race
on numerous occasions.  Some of them are a bit hot, about like my first
endurance mare, who was 1/2 Polish and probably would have done great on the
track.  Others are pretty laid back, eat good,and don't waste a lot of
energy.  I fell in love with the gelding who used to be a stallion and wanted
to breed to him for a while.  He is very correct conformationally, and has
the sweetest temperament you will EVER see in gelding OR stallion.

 So the answer to the question, as with any horse, is look carefully and ask
lots of questions.  One advantage of an ex-racehorse properly conformed and
with a good temperament and without injuries is that they have been
conditioned, so you are not starting completely from scratch as you might
with an ex-show or pleasure horse, or someone's pasture potato that their
tired of feeding.  Endurance horses come from ALL backgrounds.

In closing, let me remind you of a very successful horse up here in the
Northwest this year named PK Whiskey, ridden by Dean Hoalst, who raced on the
track until he was past 10, won LOTS of money, and is now regularly top
tenning in 50's and a 100 or tew.  I watched his race career and won money on
him for several years before he retired.  I have also seen him at home and
spoken with his previous owner, who I think was also into endurance at one
time.  jeri