One for Susan G

Susan, if you aren't in the midst of finals. . .
I'm curious - what is the point of barley in a COB mix?  My pasture ornaments get about a half pound of oats and a half pound of cracked corn along with an ounce of Farnam's VitaPlus two times a day.  Once a day, they get a half teaspoon of Selenium (I drew blood levels to arrive at that).  Five months a year, the two get free choice grass pasture, the other seven months, free choice first cutting grass/alfalfa mix hay.  I could probably get away with no grain at all, at least for my husband's easy keeper, but his feelings would be hurt.  Anyway, back to my original question, what does barley add?