Re: Viruses

I did not say only the recipients should take responsibility, I said we all should try harder! Annie
Anne George Saddlery  www.vtc.net/~ageorge
----- Original Message -----
From: Bette Lamore
To: Annie George ; ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: Viruses

Geez, Annie
Hope a new virus doesn't come in on Tues ;-)
No need to infer that people who want preventative measures taken are
irresponsible. Many of us have a life outside computers and do not have
the time or energy or even knowledge to put all the hours into them that
we could if we wished to keep them in peak performance--- like the
difference between people who drive cars and those who race them.
No matter how careful you are, there are always those people out there
inventing new worms, etc. We ALL need to do our part--- INCLUDING people
who run chat rooms, sending out thousands of emails, many of which may
have "bugs". John is saying that he can put on a filter to eliminate
most of the dangers. Saying that only the recipients should take
PERSONAL responsibility is like saying the the US Post Office should
have done nothing when the Unibomber was sending letter bombs. Part of
personal responsibility is PREVENTION which can include keeping off html
which is the vehicle for most worms and even monitoring which
attachments are allowed. We have new people on ridecamp all the time who
are unaware of the high risks of viruses, worms, etc.
I guess we've beaten this subject to death. What is our next move, John?
Do we take a vote on html or what? That decision is really up to you and
Steph and I don't want to add any extra work for you. If the filter is
no maintenance on your part, I vote for it. Just got in another trojan
today off this list (Lee Proctor--- says it is an MP3.pif--- a NEW
one--- I deleted it but the rest of you beware--- I informed the sender)
Now down to the horses who never give me viruses! Moral--- 'tiz safer to
ride than write about it.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov