Horse falling while sleeping

Okay, I'm not sure this is even a problem, called my vet and he said not to
worry about it.  My mare takes a nap every afternoon, but just recently has
started falling in her sleep.  Sometimes her knees won't lock, and sometimes
they do and she just slides backwards until she's a few inches from the
ground and then she wakes up. She never completely falls down, but has come
pretty close.

I've had this mare for 2 years and have never seen her do this before until
this week.  It's pretty scary, almost looks like she's drugged.  She's fine
when you ride her, or walk her.  When she wakes herself up by almost falling,
she kind of shakes it off and gets a drink, but then falls asleep again.

I know she hates to lay down, we have pretty hard ground, want to get
shavings but the wind is so bad right now they'd all blow away.  She's a
grey, so I know when she lays down even at night, and it's not very often.

Any ideas?

Thanks,  Judy