RE: Horse falling while sleeping

Judy,
I can't give you any specific advice, but I believe there is a term for this
condition - or at least some vets have heard of it.  My mom had a mare with
this problem.  She wasn't getting enough sleep because she kept falling and
she didn't lay down to sleep.  It got worse and worse - to the point that
the horse would start to sleep and then fall while being ridden.  My mom had
just bought the horse, and this progressed obviously over a couple months.
She contacted the seller and was able to get them to admit it had started
before she bought her.  It took a fight, but they took her back.

So since this was a short term observation, we don't have many details.  But
I would try to do some research and see if you can find a vet that's heard
of it.  I lived on the other side of the country at the time so only have
fuzzy info - so I hate to scare you if it's not the same thing.  But it was
a very scary thing for my mom so it's worth checking out.

Good Luck,
Marlene