Susan : Toc's salt intake

Susan wrote:

>25 grams isn't all that much, so I wouldn't worry about it either way.<

Whew!

>However, if you just provide the salt free-choice, Toc will eat what he
needs---all salt is the *only* mineral that you can say that about, BTW.<

I tried that.  Won't touch the stuff.  I tried a salt lick in his stable,
which eventually simply disintegrated after it had hung there a year and
been ignored.  I tried loose salt in the paddock, which was treated with
similar disdain.  The only time he ever ate a mineral lick was when I bought
a really expensive Blokkie from a feed store, which was so laced in molasses
it's just not funny.  He ate it in half an hour, and at R30,00 a block, I'm
NOT buying him more!

He does have a penchant for potato crisps, so I was tempted to buy the salt
and vinegar flavour and put them in his paddock, but after your post to
Angie, I've canned that idea >grin>

>Probably better that way, as he might needs more than 25 grams.  Also, too
much salt tends to decrease their intake of food---they can be kind of funny
that way, they may need several ounces of salt, but don't necessarily want
it in the their food at high concentration. <

But the only way I can get it into him is to put it in his food.  I usually
add 1 TBS per meal and he eats it without worrying.  But then, he'll eat
anything.

>E'lyting several days before/after an event is fine, but I would do it via
syringe and not added to his food.<

Okay.  Any reason for this other than to make sure he eats it?

Tracey