Re: Susan : Toc's salt intake

>>E'lyting several days before/after an event is fine, but I would do it via
>syringe and not added to his food.<
>
>Okay.  Any reason for this other than to make sure he eats it?

We've treated it here that way, Tracey.  My feeling is that, since it has a
recommended dosage level, recommended times of administration (how far
before a competition, not until they've had a drink of water (could be
harmful if they're dehydrated), after they've eaten (lessen impact on
stomach mucosa), and importance in the health and welfare of the horses in
this sport, it should be looked on it as a necessary, but often not
terribly welcomed adjunct to the "care and feeding of the endurance horse".
 Sort of like worming medication...not a "drug" but a necessary part of
keeping the horse healthy when we add the stressors.  Being a surgery
nurse, I've always been acutely aware of the problems that can happen when
the body is out of balance and you add the stressors of surgery...so I tend
to treat this the same way.  If it's recommended they have "x" amount of
electrolytes "x" times before a competition, I want to make sure that it
actually gets into their body.

We mix ours with applesauce (the flavored kinds are colored -- you can tell
if they're spitting it out more easily <g>) and put it in a 60cc syringe
with a "catheter tip".  We've learned the administration preferences of
each horse -- some are fine with a bolus "shooter" but others prefer it in
small amounts at a time.  We'll do whatever we need to do to make sure that
they get as close to "x" amount as possible.

Sue