Re: Re: Susan : Toc's salt intake

> >>E'lyting several days before/after an event is fine, but I would do it
via
> >syringe and not added to his food.<
> >
> >Okay.  Any reason for this other than to make sure he eats it?

That's 90% of the reason, it's kinda like either trying to mix something
nasty into ice cream and convincing a stubborn kid that's now its yummy and
having to fight to get every bite down---or just saying hold your breath
kiddo, here it comes all at once and get it over with.

The other reason is, as mentioned elsewhere, too much salt in the food or
water can put them off eating and drinking.  Since those are every bit or
more important in maintaining integrity throughout a ride, obviously you
want to avoid that.  Animals do develop a specific appetite for salt, and in
that case might eat exceptionally salty food/water---but the appetite
mechanism is usually slow to catch up to actual deficiency, so if you waited
until the horse actually had a salt appetite...well, he probably should have
gotten some e'lytes about twenty miles back.

Susan G