Barn Aisle Composition

We have finally finished our stalls in our barn and use sawdust shaving. The
barn aislefloor is dirt and gravel right now, but I'd like to put a
substance in the aisle that I can hose down when it gets too dusty, yet is
not hard on unshod horse feet like bare gravel would be. Keep in mind the
scooping poop thing too.

Anybody have any thrifty ideas? Rubber matting would be great, but who can
afford that?

Has anyone had experience using driveway gravel with coarse sand over top?

Thanks in advance
Susan, Sabian, Fly Bye, Dandy and Jazz