Re: RC: Hoof abcess

Pat, I haven't seen the horse....but just because he's not lame on it
doesn't mean there is no discomfort.  It's sorta like running a race
with part of your shoe missing.  You could do some damage elsewhere if
he favors that foot. The laminae are very sensitive and the structural
integrity of the hoof has been compromised. (I'm assuming you are not
doing 50 miles at a walk!) If the openiing  happens to be in the
quarters, or close to where you drive nails, there is a possibility of
further damaging the hoof if he should lose the shoe.  When it grows out
enough that you don't have to treat it any more, you can replace the
shoe and build up the hoof in that area with Hoof It, or a similar
product.

IMHO, there is always another ride...but not always another horse.
Leave it open, let it grow out before you ask him for 50 miles on a
damaged foot. Err on the side of the horse.

Jim and Sun of Dimanche