Re: need help with separation anxiety issues in young horse

Sounds like you have done far more for your horse than most trainers can
ever do with him. Just my opinion, but it seems as if your horse is better
off with your training even if it is not as consistant as you would like. It
may be a long road, but with miles and your care it will be worth it to you.
Years ago I was offered a beautiful (but abused) 12 year old Arab gelding
that came with *many* emotional problems. My dream was to someday do
endurance riding, and little did I know, he was far from an ideal endurance
horse. From conformation, a past suspensory injury, to anxiety problems (and
mental challenges from abuse),  boy was I in for a challenging / learning
experience. When I first got him I could not ride him with other horses. He
would prance the whole way, he would be covered in white froth, and I could
literally feel his heart pounding as I sat ontop him with the saddle! I
really feared he would have a heart attack from his intense anxiety around
other horses. Most people thought I was nuts to even consider the slightest
thought of entertaining even a casual trail ride with this guy. As a young
girl,  I was so in love with this horse and kept the blind faith . I think
it took a couple years of fun LSD riding on the trails alone, before I ever
attempted to ride with a friend/buddy. It took another two more years of fun
LSD before Classy could mentally handle riding with a group and at any kind
of speed.
I think it wasn't until Classy was 16 before we tried our first 50 miler.
His anxiety got the best of him on the first ride -- he started "thumping".
The second fifty he was way too anxious, and again started "thumping". The
third fifty (after more at home training) we finally made it with all A's
(but he was barely thumping). As he did more and more slow miles his anxiety
eased tremendously, but was still there. Our first few hundred miles I
battled with myself feeling incredibly guilty and selfish for doing
endurance with this horse, but it was the wonderful and supportive vets at
the rides, like Barney, that helped  encourage me to keep going with him.
When Classy started to relax in the rides his "thumping" diminished. At the
age of 18 (last year) he finally became a joy to ride in the rides. He even
completed a tough 80 miler and 65 miler RELAXED and happy.
Whew! Classy was such a challenge/ learning experience that I value very
much . However, It was a long grueling road, but well worth it. Hang in
there and good luck to you and your horse!
Robyn