Re: melanomas and ulcers

> Michelle, what other than weight loss makes your vet think your horse has
> ulcers?

Hi Susan -

I have had the mare for ~6 months (before that she was racing), have been
feeding oil, BP, grain, free choice hay (grass and a flake or two of
grass/oat/alfalfa mix), and now there's good pasture.  She has not picked up
weight as expected, and is generally just not eating heartily.  I'd feed
more beetpulp, but she won't eat more than a pound of it, and often won't
eat that much.  My vet and I were talking about getting more weight on her,
and the vet thought it was possible she had ulcers persisting from her track
work.  I think what caught the vet's attention was that the mare will wander
away from the food and not always want to eat as expected, i.e. when the
other horses are pigging out.  She's in a mellow group of horses, so I don't
think herd stress is a factor.  Vet suggested adding Equine Sr. to her
ration, which I'll do.

This is a recent photo of the mare.
http://www.redwrench.com/mischorse/rides/mj-032401/m4.jpg  It's kind of hard
to tell from the picture, but her ribs are slightly visible under her winter
fuzz, and there's no fat around her dock.  She has a slight hunter's bump.
She's just plain lean, and she's not doing more than 5-8 miles three times a
week.

I am open to suggestions on feeding, etc... :-)

Thanks!