Denial of heath ins. and dangerous recreation; READ!

Got this off an equine rescue bulletin board, but this should
be of interest to anyone who roller-blades, rides, bikes,
motercycles, kayaks ... or who just hates insurance companies:
if the insurance companies get their way, you may be out of
luck if you hurt yourself while engaged in “dangerous”
recreation!

MEMORANDUM
TO: AHC Member Organizations

FROM: American Horse Council

DATE: March 22, 2001

RE: Proposed Adverse Rules on Health Insurance Coverage for
Riders

Regulations proposed by the Internal Revenue Service, the
Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration and the Health Care
Financing Administration could affect people who enjoy
horseback riding (and other forms of recreation) by permitting
health insurers to exclude coverage for injuries resulting from
riding and other forms of “dangerous” recreation. While the new
proposals state that an employer cannot refuse health-care
coverage to an employee based on participation in recreational
activities, they permit health insurers to deny coverage for
injuries sustained in connection with such recreational
activities, effectively reaching the same result.

The new regulations were jointly issued by the three federal
agencies as interim rules, which means they are effective now.
But the public has until April 9 to comment on the proposals
and such comments will be considered.

These proposed regulations permit exclusions from health
insurance coverage based on activities, including horseback
riding, that Congress sought to protect. In 1966, Congress
passed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
As we read this Act, it was intended to prohibit health
insurers from denying health coverage based on a worker's pre-
existing medical condition or participation in legal
recreational activities. The legislative history of the Act
states that the law "is intended to ensure, among other things,
that individuals are not excluded from health-care coverage due
to their participation in activities such as motorcycling,
snowmobiling, all-terrain vehicle riding, horseback riding,
skiing and other similar activities."

Recreational groups, including the American Horse Council,
worked to have that language included in the legislative
history of the Act after because some employers and insurers
were discriminating against recreationalists, leaving them
without coverage if they were involved in recreational
pursuits. Incidents of discrimination involved the denial of
health-care protection to employees not only involved in
illegal activities, like driving a car while intoxicated, but
also when involved in legal recreational activities, such as
those mentioned above.

While the proposed rules prohibit a person from being denied
health insurance coverage simply because he or she engages in
riding, they also permit an insurer to exclude benefits for
injuries suffered while engaged in such activities. This
effectively excludes individuals engaged in such activities.

The AHC will submit comments to the federal agencies in
opposition to this provision. We urge any individual or equine
organization to do likewise. Comments must be submitted by
April 9 to:

CC:M&SP:RU (REG-109707-97)
Room 5226
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 7604
Ben Franklin Station
Washington, DC 20044

U.S. Department of Labor
Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Room C-5331 - Attention: Nondiscrimination Comments
Washington, DC 20210

Health Care Financing Administration
Department of Health and Human Services
Attention: HCFA-2022-IFC
P.O. Box 26688
Baltimore, MD 21207

A sample letter follows. Please retype it on your stationary
and re-draft it to make it as personal as possible. This will
give it more weight. Send the same letter to each agency. Do
not simply send this memo in to the agencies.

Please call the AHC with any questions.

April X, 2001

CC:M&SP:RU (REG-109707-97)
Room 5226
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 7604
Ben Franklin Station
Washington, DC 20044

U.S. Department of Labor
Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Room C-5331 - Attention: Nondiscrimination Comments
Washington, DC 20210

Health Care Financing Administration
Department of Health and Human Services
Attention: HCFA-2022-IFC
P.O. Box 26688
Baltimore, MD 21207

Dear Sir or Madam:

We are writing in opposition to the non-discrimination
regulations under the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA) proposed by your agency in January.

Like tens of millions of other American we enjoy horseback
riding. We participate as follows…… Obviously, if we are unable
to purchase health insurance that protects us as we participate
in this legal activity, it will affect our continued
participation.

These rules will affect more than just us. An economic study
commissioned by the American Horse Council shows that
recreational horseback riding has a $23.8 billion economic
impact in the U.S., supports 317,000 jobs and involves 3
million horses. This segment of the American horse industry is
growing rapidly. Horse owners, breeders, stables, outfitters,
dude ranches, veterinarians and feed and tack stores all rely
on the individual rider. The rules your agency proposes will
adversely affect this entire industry.

We support the original Congressional intent of the bill, which
is to protect individuals like horseback riders from being
discriminated against and denied health insurance coverage
simply because they are participating in a legal, recreational
activity. We urge you to change the proposed rules to ensure
medical coverage, including benefits, for injuries that may
occur while riding and engaging in other legal, recreational
activities.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Get your own "800" number