RE: Rules comparison AERC/FEI

Wolfgang:

You are absolutely correct. For those who are not familiar with the FEI
classifications of the types of rides, here is the excerpt from the FEI
Rules:

Chapter III Definition of Endurance
Events
Article 824 Categories of Endurance Rides
International Endurance Rides are divided into:
CEI (Concours de Raid d’Endurance International), CEIO
(Concours de Raid d’Endurance International Officiel), CMEI
(Concours de Marathon Equestre International), CMEIO
(Concours de Marathon Equestre International Officiel).
The International Endurance Rides specified below are
governed by the General Regulations of the FEI and by the rules
in this booklet. According to the degree of difficulty (hazards,
distances, speeds, length of the course), they are divided into:
1. CEIs
1.1. They must comply with the requirements of the General
Regulations and the Rules for Endurance Riding.
1.2. In these Rides, there must only be an official individual
classification.
1.3. Where there is a team competition, it may not be
considered as an Official Team competition and each member of
the team will automatically be considered as an individual
competitor. The number of teams which can be accepted is at
the discretion of the Organising Committee. Teams may consist
of three or four competitors not necessarily of the same
nationality.
1.4. CEIs are defined in the FEI Calendar according to the
number of competition days and the length of the course.
CEIs are divided into CEIs Category A and CEIs Category B. All
CMEIs are organised as CEIs Category A.
CEIs Category A, in one day, have a course of more than 140
km; in two or more days have at least 80 km per day..22
CEIs Category B include all the other CEIs.
Art. 114.6, 115.1, 139.1 apply only to CEIs Category A.
2. CMEIs
2.1. The course of CMEIs can be on a distance from 40 to 50
km.
2.2. They must comply with the requirements laid down in the
Rules for Endurance Riding.
2.3. The NFs can organise a CMEI only if they have organised
at least one CEI of 80 km or more in the previous 24 months.
3. CEIOs, CMEIOs
3.1. They must comply with the requirements laid down in the
General Regulations and the Rules for Endurance Riding.
3.2. At a CEIO, there must be an individual and a team
classification. Each nation may enter only one team. A minimum
of three teams is necessary for the team competition to be
considered as the official team competition. Each team must be
composed of a maximum of four competitors of the same
nationality. The three best results will be considered for the final
classification. A team of three competitors may be admitted. In
this case, the marks of all three are taken into consideration for
the final classification, provided that all three have completed
the ride.
4. Championships
The Endurance Ride Championships must comply with the
requirements laid down in the General Regulations and the
Rules for Endurance Riding..23
5. Regional Games
Endurance Rides at the Regional Games must comply with the
requirements laid down by the various IOC affiliated Regional
Games Associations.

This is not as complicated as it appears but still more so than what is
covered in the AERC Rules. The AERC Rules for Limited Distance would, in
some aspects, compare to the FEI CMEI(O).

Thank you again Wolfgang for correcting me.

Bob Morris