Re: RC: Re:UAE/AERC/

In a message dated 3/27/01 6:04:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, ageorge@vtc.net
writes:

<< Its not so much about the UAE $$ as it is our own inner conflict/struggle.

Actually, I think the money has a lot to do with the problems some riders
associate with UAE.  It kind of reminds me of how revenues from television
affect football games.  Ever sit in the stands at a game and wonder why all
the players are standing around, not playing, and nobody has called a time
out?  TV commercial breaks.

There is not a clear answer here.  One of the things that does surprise me is
that most of the riders who do go over there and participate say nothing but
good things about the Sheiks, Nina especially.  So, maybe, those of us who
don't go over there (I hate to fly myself) don't have the full picture, or
those that do go over just had such a great time they can't bring themselves
to say anything negative about their hosts, who shelled out quite a bit of
Sand Dollars to bring them over.

As usual, I'm confused, but I still think my point of selling them our best
stock holds water.  There is a finite number to exceptional endurance horses,
and if I had the money, sure I'd love to buy one that's fully trained and top
tens at that level.  Instead I go to horse auctions and try and train a nag
for 3 to 5 years with the pleasant thought that I only paid 500 bucks for my
horse and, maybe, saved his/her life.

Because of the money spent on American and other foreign endurance horses,
the brokers who make a damn good annual salary from them, and people like
Tom, who is well compensated, I do think money is an issue here.  To me, it's
like Bill Gates, when he found out he couldn't get season tickets to the
Seattle Seahawks games.  Damn, if he didn't just go out and buy the team and,
now, has the best seat in the house.

cya,
Howard  (only in America, can we have discussions such as this)