Re: cinching a centered rigged saddle

>Hi, I recently purchased a saddle at the AERC in Reno.  It is a center
rigged endurance with very long latigos on both sides.  I have NO idea how
to cinch  this saddle using the long latigos.  I had to swap one side out
for an off billet, but would like to learn how to use them.  Is there
anyone who can describe it to me or perhaps e-mail a drawing?  Thanks.

We've used this system with our Big Horns here -- a little confusing at
first, but pretty simple once you have the hang of it.  I like the center
rigging set-up since it helps anchor the back of saddle a bit better.  On
the new DeSoto saddles the rigging is set up with straps from each ring
that go to another ring with a billet attached...the straps can be adjusted
to give the right amount of stability for each horse and then place the
girth in a good spot so that it doesn't end up behind the horse's elbow.
The long latigo system works in a similar way.

Considering the rings on the saddle and girth -- inside is closest to the
horse, outside is the side facing you.

Bring the long latigo straight down from the saddle's forward ring to the
girth...loop it thru the girth ring from the inside to the outside.  Take
the latigo back to the rear ring and loop it thru going from *outside* to
inside, then back to the girth ring.  Go again from the inside to the
outside (the latigo will now be going behind the first loop coming down
from the front ring) and then bring it back up to the forward ring where it
is originally attached.  Put the latigo thru the front ring from outside to
the inside and bring it around the front from the side as if you were tying
a man's necktie.  After passing horizontally over the front of the vertical
latigo loops that go to the girth, go behind the ring again and bring the
latigo from the inside back to the outside with the tail going down thru
the horizontal piece in front -- essentially like a necktie.  Tuck the tail
excess in a slotted keeper towards the front of the saddle (if it has one)
or inside a strap on the girth...or loop it thru the back ring to keep it
from dangling.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm