Re: The Way We Win: Change the "Pay Scale" for Endurance?

Bob...
Neat exercise...now you've got me thinking...

Obviously ride conditions throughout North America are far from
homogeneous. We have fast, flat rides; mountainous, rocky rides; deep,
sandy rides and all manner of combination in between, not to mention the
full gamut of weather conditions, from hot and humid to cool and dry. It
may not be possible to employ a single standard when it comes to
finishing times. Even on racetracks, times reflect variable ambient
conditions and track biases: six furlongs in 1:10 is considered zippy in
Maryland but relatively slow in California. Handicapper Andy Beyer
developed his Beyer Speed Figures over a decade ago to help equalize
(and universalize) race times for handicappers studying past performance
charts in The Daily Racing Form.

Perhaps a similar model could be developed for our sport. We could start
by establishing national averages for time, total elevation change, heat
and humidity, then add or subtract points/minutes for each ride based on
these variables along with miles above or below 50/100. New rides could
come up with their "best guess" based on the model, cross-referencing
known rides of similar conditions/terrain.

Final adjustments could be made after the ride, if necessary, in the
event of unforseen events (downed trees/flash floods blocking the trail,
landing space stations, etc.).

To get the ball rolling, we'd need the average of *all* 50- (and/or
100-) mile ride times contested in 1999 (and soon, 2000) from the
yearbook.

If any ride managers (or computer wizards) want to play with developing
a working model, we could try it out as an overlay on some demonstration
rides this year. For a few rides, it could even be a voluntary
"value-added" feature, with team competition and Gold/Silver/Bronze
designations noted alongside traditional completion awards.

Fire away...

Regards,
Bobbie