Re: RC: Results and Dubai

In a message dated 03/24/2001 12:47:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Lyoness@Castlenet.com writes:

Do you really think that our best riders go to the UAE and abuse their
horses?

Hi Joane:

Just to confirm...not one of the emails written on the subject of the race
says the above.  No one has claimed that the US riders abused their horses.
And lets get one more thing straight.  The US riders were INVITED to ride in
Dubai, each for varying reasons.  They are all good riders--yes.  But these
horse/rider teams are not necessarily "the best" our country has to offer at
this time.  Earning an international team spot based on one's race record is
one thing.  Being invited because you're friends with a sheik is another.

Being selected to compete in a Pan American championship or in a World
Championship is an incredible honor and a hard won honor.  The record of the
horse and record of the rider are the basis of the selection process that
chooses these teams.  This isn't the case with the Worlds Most Preferred.  If
you're in the Arab  "in crowd" you might get invited.  That's how it works.
There were horses competing there who wouldn't have met the qualification
standards of the former Race of Champions, not to mention the World Endurance
Championship.

Am I minimizing the efforts or results of those who competed?  Not in any
way.  Some of the competitors are my friends.  But, as a former journalist,
accuracy in reporting is important in my mind.  There are so many facts that
get brushed aside in the process of misreading and misinterpreting comments.
Let's try and keep the facts straight without embellishment.

Debi Gordon