Re: RC: Purebred but not registered

In a message dated Thu, 22 Mar 2001  1:08:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Carolyn Burgess" <carolyn_burgess@hotmail.com> writes:

<< 13 is too old.  I am considering a 10 year old as my first horse bought for
endurance, and I am concerned that he is too old to be starting this sport.>>

'Scuse me??  I've started a few horses in this sport that were not even BROKE until they were in their teens.  One mare started at 13 went on to be a Junior National Top Ten at age 17 and a Senior National Top 25 at 19, back in the days when such awards were still offered.  Four years ago, my husband took on a stallion that was 15 and had not been ridden since he was 7--and they have done very well together.  Just got a 17-year-old last year for my great-niece that was broke to death but has never done anything like endurance--and he is one athletic critter!  I expect the pair of them to do just fine.  I think a lot of really terrific prospects get overlooked because they are in their early double digits--too bad!

Heidi