Re: RC: Purebred but not registered

In a message dated Thu, 22 Mar 2001  2:47:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Carolyn Burgess" <carolyn_burgess@hotmail.com> writes:

<< The 18 Y.O. Arabian we
have owned for 4 years.  I know this horse and he will be fine for rides of
25 - 50 miles, and he is a wonderful, athletic horse.  However, I would not
go out and buy a horse of his age for this sport.>>

Just curious--but why not?  You bought the 18-yr-old at 14, so you don't "know" him from before that--why is that any different than buying another 14-yr-old?  If the horse has reasonable longevity in his family lines, is sound, has the conformation and desire--why not?  The horse in his early teens is usually ready to go, is often steady and dependable, is in his prime years for this sport, etc.  No waiting for him to grow up.  I might not buy one that age if my goal were to "make" a horse for FEI competition or some such, but most endurance riders would do well to not overlook this group of horses!

Heidi