Medial Patellar Ligament????

I have a 4yr unbroke Arab gelding that had the popping at 17 months  with
some weight loss and moving him to California  it seemed to dissapate.  Now
after almost 2years  it has reappeared.  And it seems ucky to me.  I never
saw him do it in Texas he was shipped there and stayed while I relocated.  I
have read everything I could get my hands on locally.  Some say surgery and
cut the ligament   some say an injection of some sort??  (Out of a jumper
barn)  HELP  any one with any ideas please forward them  Thanks  Donna and
Henry