RE: Re: Gopher Holes

We don't have gophers but we do have gerbils and foxes and feral dogs and
worst of all, archaeologists, all of which leave weird holes all over the
desert. I've only heard of one broken leg but it was from a 5 foot fall down
a hole that we all knew was there except the moron who was galloping his
horse at dusk. Luckily, he also broke his leg and surely deserved it. The
horse survived by the way. I personally have had much more problems with wet
concrete.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net

I use pastures like these for training aids , of course most of our pastures
are full of gopher holes anyway but I feel that it is a good way to teach a
horse to pay attention to where they are going . I also have a pasture that
is full of hummocks that I take colts through first at a slow trot and as
they get better with their footing then at a high trot .One of the best ways
in the world to make them pay attention to where they are going . I have
never had a horse get hurt in anyway from doing this even when we
occasionally bite the dirt , but that usually only happens once with a horse
and after that you can bet that they are watching where they put those feet
:-)
                                      Drin Becker
                                      Mtn Region