Re: Gopher Holes

Marlene wrote " I don't like torturing animals in any way either, but I
think I would prefer that one to putting down my horse to a broken leg.  I
have to trailer to ride, even though there is about150 open acres next to
me, just because of the gopher holes.  I'll walk and maybe a careful trot in
our pasture, but that's it. "

I use pastures like these for training aids , of course most of our pastures
are full of gopher holes anyway but I feel that it is a good way to teach a
horse to pay attention to where they are going . I also have a pasture that
is full of hummocks that I take colts through first at a slow trot and as
they get better with their footing then at a high trot .One of the best ways
in the world to make them pay attention to where they are going . I have
never had a horse get hurt in anyway from doing this even when we
occasionally bite the dirt , but that usually only happens once with a horse
and after that you can bet that they are watching where they put those feet
:-)
                                      Drin Becker
                                      Mtn Region