Complete feeds

With all this talk of 'complete' feeds, has anyone ever wondered what
the psychological effects of a hayless -or minimal hay- diet might be on
our horses?  I have (am I weird, or what?).  Considering that horses are
meant to walk and forage *almost* 24/7 I have to wonder.  Especially
with horses that are confined to smaller areas.  I guess I tend to
overfeed hay, more so from a mental well being standpoint than for
physical health.  I worry about the old guy I have that has no bottom
teeth and gets all his feed (soaked senior and beet pulp) at once.  His
nutritional needs are met, but what the heck does he do the other 23 1/2
hours of the day?
I need to get out and ride and stop thinking so much......
Lisa