re: kicking

Terre,

I have ridden several times with my friend & this horse & he has never
kicked or attempted to kick -- he doesn't even lay his ears back.  We
leapfrog regularly -- Storm does not have a problem being passed.  I have
even ridden up behind him at a canter & passed him without incident.  The
problem is that this behavior was rather unexpected (yes, he cow-kicked
once months ago which is why he was wearing the ribbon, but not
since).  Since I wasn't at the ride, I don't know the particulars, but I
think it was on a single track trail that the other riders passed.  Maybe
the horse felt threatened or cornered -- who knows -- but my friend knows
this is unacceptable behavior which is why she asked for advice.

I will pass along the growling advice (I actually do this with my dogs & it
is very successful).  Don't know yet if my 4 yo gelding is going to need it
-- fortunately, he hasn't yet.

Vicki