Re: RC: kicking

Terre...

That's absolutely correct.  Horses don't multi-task very well.  If the
attention is on you, then that overrides whatever else is going on.  It
is dangerous for you (and the horse) if he forgets who's running the
show here. As you said, it's very important to "read" your horse and
anticipate what he's going to do and react while he's "thinking" about
it. However, in most cases, I prefer not to use physical punishment
unless absolutely necessary. With some horses, this can make the
situation worse.  Arabians, in particular, do not care for this
approach.

Hopefully, I have trained the horse in basic gives, how to sidepass,
backup, turn on hind/fore, drop his head from the saddle, etc. before
putting him in a stressful situation where he would kick, bite, buck,
etc.  When he becomes excited, aggressive, fearful, or simply not paying
attention, I will give him "work to do" by using these aids rapidly and
he becomes so busy trying to keep up with the cues he forgets about what
else he had in mind.  On the other hand, if necessary I will do whatever
is required to get his attention, even rapping him with a crop or
whatever else I have handy....(NEVER in front of the withers) Hopefully,
you have done your homework before you get in a crisis and this will
never come up.

As you mentioned, a good technique to teach "calm down" is
"leapfrogging".  In order to teach a horse to "calm down", you must
first "get him excited", but you need to ramp up the excitement. (The
start of an Endurance ride is not a good level to begin with! <grin>)
Horses usually don't mind "leaving" another horse, but hate to get
"left". You can use this to "get him excited". With leapfrogging, you
alternate passing another rider, letting the other horse get farther and
farther away.

When I was training Sunny, I insisted that he stand perfectly still
after the other horse left for at least one full minute.  If he moved
his feet, he would get the "word", we would go into our repertoire, then
I would ask him to stand again.  Doesn't take long before he figures it
out. Just the "word" would be enough to freeze him if he started to
move. Start doing this with the other horse in sight, then have them go
farther and farther away. Pretty soon, he will stand there
forever....because he has arrived at the correct conclusion that we will
NEVER leave here until he stands quietly....and you must be prepared to
be there when the sun comes up if necessary.....and he will WALK off
when we do leave. If he goes into a trot without being cued, we stop and
start all over again.  Now at a ride, even tho he's excited,
competitive, and pulling on me asking to go, he will let other horses
stream past him without losing touch with what I want him to do; such as
stop and put on an easyboot...and I ride in an Arabian S-hack or just a
halter.  It takes patience and many, many hours, but the end result is
worth it. He will also stand quietly waiting for a ride to start.

You can also use variations on this "leave and come back" idea (a John
Lyons technique) to teach your horse not to get excited when his "buddy"
leaves....but that's another story.

This now easily translates to any other situation where he is
"mis-behaving".  He now knows EXACTLY what will happen if he doesn't
respond to the "word".  Being basically lazy, he HATES all that cue
stuff. The "word" means whatever is going through your pea brain, forget
it and pay attention to me RIGHT NOW or we're gonna go through your
"dance" routine for a while!

Here I go getting verbose again.....sorry...forty lashes with dental
floss!

Jim and Sun of Dimanche