clipping

I have always heard about ruining the summer coat if you clip this time of year.  But I have clipped this time of year for the past 10 years and my horse always has a great, sleek, shiny summer coat.  He is so hairy that it is impossible to condition and/or compete without clipping him.  I do a hunt clip, just leave the saddle pad and an area around the girth.  I completely clipped him one year and had a terrible time with lumps on his back.  May have been due to ingrown hair or bug bites, it hampered our riding all spring.  Finally had to have the lumps injected with a steroid, not put a saddle on him for a month before they went away.  Do no clip the back or girth area.  Blanketing is a pain, but March here is up and down so he doesn't need a blanket full time.  Louise