Re: It's a Drug???

Left out of Kat's and Bob's discussion is (IMHO) the real reason this scares experienced riders like those mentioned. Kathy's comments jumped out as those of us with more experience as a big red flag. I copy those comments below.

Now that he's been on it for over 6 months, what I'm seeing is a horse
> that's turned from a young cute baby, into what appears to be a potential
> 100 mile monster.  I'm shooting for the Swanton 75 this summer, but
> every time I take him out on the trail, he's so energetic I swear he needs
> that 100 to calm him down and teach him to really get to work.

   So we worry this horse thinks he is superman and will find out he is not while being tied to a tree with an IV in his neck if he is lucky. I know this would be my concern and I believe is Kat's, Bobs and others. The mental state the additive seemed to produce appeared drug like to us.

    But I believe Kathy was just excited about her horse and didn't realize the way her comments would be taken by those of us who have seen the darker side of this sport.  I don't really know Kathy but I know her horse, he was available for purchase and the same age as my horse that I bought back in 1997. My horse now has 7 100's under his belt and although is anything but a monster he has matured into the kind of horse that handles 100's with ease. So I really think Kathy is just seeing a matured endurance horse with over three years of base and a slightly hotter attitude than the horse I bought from Jackie.
   So l do not believe Kathy should take offense at the drug comments her note started, she and her horse have experience and a base and rightfully she is proud of what she has produced. But it should be a little conscience call that these horses can get into trouble that they cannot get out of if they feel like superman, especially because of some new herb or additive we are giving them.

                JIm Mitchell