Re: clipping

  Since noone else is answering this, I'll jump in.
First let me note that A.  I have never done and endurance irde
and B.  I don't clip my horse.  But here's my opinion for what
it's worth.

  If you are not showing your horse there is no NEED to clip
him just because he looks shaggy.  If looks are the only
concern, you can just clip off the excess fetlock hair and tidy
up the face and ears.

Excess hair can, however, make a horse slow to cool down and
dry off, which can be a concern.  One approach is just to clip
those areas that tend to get the wettest and are slowest to
dry. A trace-clip often hits just these areas (trace-clip means
clip everything up to about half-way up the horses sides and
underneath the neck, where the traces would be if he were in
harness).  This gets the chest and underside of the neck which
are often the sweatiest areas.

Since your horse is not stableds, I would clip as little as
possible, just enough to tidy him up a little and make cooling
out easier.  Remember if you go overbaord clipping you will
need to blanket whenever it gets cool, which can be a real
hassle.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag