Re: I'm Buying My First Endurance Horse

I thought I'd let everyone know how my horsehunting went this weekend.  I was going to look at a Standardbred mare, who sounded very nice in the ad.  She was very large (16.1-16.2) but very underweight.  She is owned by a young girl who has owned her for about 1 1/2 years and is selling her so she can move into her own apartment.  The horse has a wonderful personality and a great dispostion, but has some physical attributes that bothered me.  She has a hock that wobbles from side to side, and the other leg moves "funny".  I decided to pass on her.  This is the first horse I'm buying for a specific purpose, so I'm going at it from a totally new perspective.  If I was buying my first horse or just one to goof around on, she would have been fine.  But that's not what I'm looking for.  Thank you everyone for your input.  I got lots of advice and tips that I would never have thought of.  I'll keep you posted on my search.

Carolyn Burgess

----- Original Message -----
From: Snodgrass, Bonnie
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 8:25 AM
To: 'Carolyn Burgess'
Subject: RE: I'm Buying My First Endurance Horse

Carolyn, how did things go on Saturday? What did you think of this horse?
You didn't say in your email to ridecamp whether this horse is trained to
saddle or not. I've owned a Standardbred and a Morgan who was really part
Standardbred and built like one, so I thought I might be able to give you
some additional thoughts about their conformation as it applies to
riding/endurance. Or is it too late. Did you already buy the horse?

Bonnie Snodgrass