Re: Do I still want to do endurance?

Carol arabracer@hotmail.com
Christian, I asked myself the same question when I was
worried about the long term effects of this sport. It's
true some horses do develop problems but by the same token
I had many people e-mail me and tell me their horses have
been doing endurance all their life and are still going at
the age of 20+. It just depends on the genetic disposition
of the horse, ie. is it prone to arthritis, how well it has
been taken care of, how hard it was pushed, was it forced
 to train on hard ground, etc...and I hate to say this
but almost all serious athletes develop some amount of
arthritis as they age it's just all the wear and tear on
the joints that comes with all the pounding. I personally
would not continue to do endurance on a horse if it showed
any signs of breakdown, but yours sounds like he doesn't, so
why worry? Have his legs x-rayed if you're concerned. Good luck.