EN

While I can see this is not going to be popular, I'll throw it out
anyway.

One of the current trends in technical journals today is EJournals. Some
Journals are only published on-line. Many of the mainstay journals which
have been around over 60 or so years are published both on-line and in
print. When you pay your subscription fee you chose either to receive a
password or the publication in paper ( which cost more).

With your password you can access the Journals. You can either read them
online or download them and do what you like with them. There is a big
cost savings with on-line subscriptions.

Also it much easier to organize and store the downloaded papers than try
to remember just which issue you saw something in.  Not only that if I
kept getting hard copy of my journals, I would have to build an addition
on the house to build the additional bookshelves on which to keep them -
nothing to say of beefing up the foundation to support the weight of all
this paper.

The AERC could also realize a big cost savings by offering the EN online
to those that wanted it online. I am not proposing that the hard copy
should cease to exist. Those that want it in print should be able to get
it in print, but if only 1/4 of the membership took it online, this
would amount to a large savings.

As for me, I know Dane had a wonder series of articles in EN about 6
years ago on metabolic problems and how to prevent them, or was it seven
or was it five - gee I can't remember. Of course since we moved I most
likely have misplaced the very issues they were in. If I got them
offline, they would be nice and neat in a folder in my hard drive or on
a zip drive - hundreds of them in one zip drive in my desk.

The big way business and government has cut cost by is increasing
"productivity" by using technology. The AERC should take a look at these
options.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.