Re: RC: New Born Foals

Hi Bill
That's what I've always been told by vets and that's what I've always
done. So much nicer than sticking the poor thing as a welcome into our
world. The only catch was to make sure the foal's IGG was good-- we used
to give it ourselves by a kit from one of the catalogue stores. Then it
seems the vets here were able to take it off the market so it now
entails a vet call. If I have had other foals by that mare and know that
the mare produces good colostrum and see that the baby has been nursing
well and that the mare did not leak prior to foaling, I'm comfortable
with just giving the 3 way shot to the mare within the month before
without the extra expense of a vet call (unless complications, of
course). My vet also told me to give the mare ivermectrin within 48
hours of foaling and said that should hold the foal over till worming at
1 month with ivermec. We don't give shots to the foal until 3-4 months,
depending on the foals size and when we have to wean. (sometimes Hal's
foals are so big they are really bringing down the weight of the dam no
matter how much we give mare and foal so a few times we've had to wean
before 4 months (the mare and foal are next to each other and the foal
is with other babies and mares to reduce trauma- we simply remove one
mare at a time)). The Venezuelan Enceph. is the only one I know you have
to wait longer with-- the vet said the others are fine at 3-4 months.
Don't know if this is the "latest" trend-- just something that most of
us breeders do out where I am.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!