Re: RC: Re: Tieing up

In a message dated 2/19/00 10:47:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers writes:

<<  >but there is at least
  anecdotal evidence that resting pulses may drop in at least some horses
with
  fitness, so that could certainly change the ratio to a larger number.>

 Right. I told that story around a campfire twenty years ago--surprised it's
still circulating.  >>

Actually, Tom, it is a phenomenon that many of us have observed for
years--including the fact that in some families the resting HR drops with
conditioning and in some families it does not.  (Genetics?)  But so far I
haven't noticed any link between the drop in resting HR and the recovery
times to a clinically normal range, so it hasn't been something I've thought
to be high on the priority list for further investigation.  The ones with
resting HR's of 36 when fit will drop just as well as their compatriots who
"rest" at 24.  (Scientific research generally does not arise out of a void,
but rather because someone observed the beast and said, "How come?")  And as
I said before, even horses like Steph's with pretty low resting pulses still
seem to go to about the same point for a "top" HR--so the difference is
bigger, but the end performance is about the same.

Heidi