Diesel info

In a couple of months I will own my first diesel truck.  I remember from
years ago (I used to housesit for a doctor friend in Hillsboro (near SF)
and he would let me drive his diesel Mercedes while he was gone...tough
life, huh?  House has a pool too...;-)) I had to wait after I turned to
ignition on before I fired it up.  Why?  What else do I need to know?  Also
heard that you can ruin the engine by letting it run out of gas
(err...diesel)...is this true?  And, what exactly *is* diesel fuel?  Is
there somewhere on the 'net that will tell me which gas stations carry it?

Thanks.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm