Re: Diarrhea

Subject: RC: Diarrhea

> Ok, let's attack this problem. What are the causes in endurance horses,
and
> what are the cures?
>
> So far, I've seen it occur before a ride, early in a ride and late in a
ride,
> with no common observable cause. sometimes it appears that some horses
bring
> it on emotionally--as would a "washy" racehorse.
>
> Teach me
>
> ti

Wow Tom, you must be reading my mind.  I'm really interested in this.  I've
been fretting over my gelding of late because he is so prone to diarrhea at
rides.  When he gets out of the trailer and sees other horses, it's almost
instantaneous diarrhea.  My endurance mare doesn't have a problem.  I'm
about to have blood work done for this year, but last year the two were
almost identical.

I have assumed that it is because he is sooo competitive.  He loves the ride
and he is VERY competitive, to the point of "loosing his head" if I'm not
careful with him.  I have to supplement him with more electrolytes than I do
my mare, I assume because he's losing precious minerals in the diarrhea.  I
am still experimenting and looking for the "cure".

Cathy in central Oregon