Re: RC: Re: Re: question about Chromium

At 05:31 PM 02/13/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Thanx, that clears up adding it into the CC.
>Now, what about a 5 day, 250 mile ride. Has anyone given you any feedback on
>multi-day ride use of your product? Could or should it be given to sustain
>enery day after day? Would it be better on day 4 & 5 to give a lift. Do you
>have a manual or list of suggestions for use? my horse and me will be doing
>100's this year also. Is there a downside to using this product, like muscle
>exhaustion  doesn't show up till later because it was delayed? I'm not
>assuming this is the case, this is a question. Is CC like Goo for humans?

I have lots of experience using it on two different horses for probably
4000 miles.  I feel that it is most beneficial on a multiday ride, of which
I've done several while using CC.

You've got to use it sensibly.  Meaning, it's like putting icing on your
cake.  Everything is to already be in order - the horse has to be able to
handle the work load and taking good care of itself before I would even
think of adding CC to the program.  If your horse doesn't want to drink or
eat, then this isn't going to help and could possibly make it worse.  Same
thing for fitness level - if your horse is getting tired after doing a 50
then this isn't going to make your horse more able.

Some benefits:

Steady energy
Less fatigue (which IMO reduces the chance of injury)
My horses tend to want to eat/drink better
Excellent post-ride recovery (how does doing a ride every other weekend for
6 months count - including 5-day rides and two 100's - Tevis & Virginia
City?)

Negatives:

Once you start using it on a ride, you have to continue using it
If you don't mix it correctly it will get thick and hard to administer
If you use it you'll likely get flamed and told how stupid you are :^)

I really *hate* to admit that it has a beneficial effect because I can just
envision everybody running out to try this stuff on a 25 mile ride and/or
doing something stupid causing their horse to get hurt then conveniently
blaming the CC for their errors in judgement.  I can't stress enough that
for the average endurance rider how important it is to have your ducks in a
row first!

On the bloodwork I've had done so far you can see that the lower the horses
blood glucose is the higher his enzyme levels are.  So obviously it's of
benefit to the horse to keep the glucose level steady.

My protocol:

2 oz. every 2 hours (once the race starts), given via syringe
I'm going to start some experimenting.....will see how that goes.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, 2,410 miles