Selenium

>Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:02:34 -0600
>To: rayna777@uswest.net
>From: Sarah Ralston <ralston@aesop.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Selenium

Where are you getting the blood selenium samples run?
It is a notoriously difficult mineral to assay correctly-
huge variations can be seen even with the same sample. Since
you are in Washington State which is in the low Se area, adding
up to 10 mg per day might be indicated but 28 mg is getting
into the toxic range! One mg per day is more than sufficient
in most areas. The spleen has nothing to do with tying up or
selenium storage. If she was calm and resting when the blood
was drawn for the PCV-I wouldn't worry about that! Get it done
again after she's been saddled and walked around a bit-you'd be
pleased at the diiference!
With the relatively large amount of oil she is getting (2 1/2 cups),
I would look more toward a vitamin E deficit, especially since her worst
episode was in the early spring-dry hay is a notoriously poor
source of vitamin E. Your 5000 iu per day is ok but was it in
powder form combined with Se? Vitamin E is notoriously unstable,
especially when mixed with minerals. Try the gel capsules they
sell for humans in the grocery store-they do come in 1000 iu sizes
and are easily broken open and poured on feed. Unless you are
having a hard time keeping the weight on her you might also
try cutting back on the oil. If all the above fails, she may be
a candidate for a carbohydrate restricted diet, especially
with her history-cut out the molasses....
Good luck with her. Hope this helps.

Sarah and Fling (I don't tie up-I just go into whole body spasms if
 Mom screws up my electrolytes!)