Re: RC: conditioning effects

In a message dated 2/10/00 10:29:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
DVeritas@aol.com writes:

<< Steph,
     I am REALLY interested in this regard.  ..."can the contractile strength
 be increased??"...
     If the heart actually increases in size, is it's "increase" in all
areas?
  Wouldn't the THICKNESS of the chamber walls increase as well?  And if so,
 wouldn't the contractile strength actually be DECREASED rather than the
 "desired" increase?
     I don't know, but the effect of a "thickness" increase could affect all
 cardio-pulmonary efficiency and seriously endanger the horse.
     I'm not a vet, I'm barely literate, but if anyone knows if the
phenomenon
 described could happen, I sure would be interested in knowing.

 Thanks,
    Frank. >>

Frank,

I keep getting impressed with your intelligent insight. Yes, with larger
hearts the contractile fraction tends to become smaller--probably because
less efficiency is required--at least at rest. Have never measure wall
thickness of left ventricle, just inside diameter

ti