Helmets

I never rode in a helmet except at shows (english classes). I hated those
little black things that gave you headaches and cooked your brains! About
ten years ago I had to exchange some tack and I ended up taking an eventing
helmet in exchange as I was doing some "fun" eventing and felt it would
come in handy. I even backed two youngsters without a helmet (I know,
pretty dumb!)
Then two things happenend that made me a dedicated helmet user. I was
mounting my gelding (he had the habit of starting to walk off as soon as
you started to swing your leg over and I mounted him this way for 11 years
with no problems) when he stumbled just as my leg was swingiing over his
rump and I was thrown forwards where I landed on my side in front of him,
he tried to avoid me but in correcting himself nicked my head with his
front foot. I was riding with my dad who said he helped me up walked my
gelding back to the stable, took me inside and helped me wash off my face
where I "woke up"....my last memory was off waking up that morning with my
dad asking if I want to ride!!!!!
I STARTED WEARING A HELMET PRONTO!
Then a few years later I had a horse flip over backwards on top of me, I
dislocated my hip, bruised my lower spine, cracked three ribs, broke two
ribs, tore some ligaments in my shoulder, took all the skin of the side of
my face and broke my nose...I felt evrey millisecond of pain on the way to
the hospital, but it felt great!!!!! why???? I was wearing my helmet!! How
could it have been worse you may say.....when I got home after 6 weeks
intraction and checked my helmet, the back was gouged away down to the
padding!!!!!!!!! Guess my head would have been gouged down to my brains!!!!

Celeste (South Africa)
Mawlud & Shadixx (so what if she looks funny, the carrots still taste the
same!)