Re: RC: Re: helmets

>Kandhy wrote:
>
>> I agree with wearing of a helmet, I just have never found one that
>> didn't let enough air through as I got a severe case of heat stroke and
>> just can't take the heat.
>
>Sharon
>So. California

I find my Troxel lets in plenty of air -- in fact, in mid summer I start
using a  helmet cover to prevent sunburn through the vents (I have thin,
fine hair).  If you are very sensitive to the heat (I am too) a wet bandana
(which I keep wet from my water bottles, which start the ride frozen) or
one of those gel neck pieces really helps:  cools the  blood going up the
carotid artery to your brain. I also have a fake chamois shawl I got from
Cool-Off (my horses always go out on summer rides with their Cool-Off poll
coolers) that holds a lot of water and provides great evaporative cooling.
If it gets hot enough I wind up dumping as much water on me as on the horse.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky