Re: RC: endurance prospect, etc.

In a message dated 2/6/00 9:47:09 AM Pacific Standard Time, bass@bigsky.net
writes:

<< So if I (and
 others) tend to look down at those who go hell bent for leather in order to
 achieve that win, don't assume that we are "losers", assume that we
 perceive those actions as a mistake -- one that we would not like to
 duplicate, or even have to watch again.  I consistently top ten all rides I
 enter, and keep my horses metabolically and physically sound for years on
 end (I'm not thinking just 5 years or so, I'm talking about a career) -- I
 consider myself a fairly successful endurance rider.  So, then, why don't I
 go for the win more often?  Because I know, after YEARS of observing, that
 I am NOT willing to ask of my horse what the "winners" are willing to ask
 of theirs.  So, it often makes me consider changing to a sport where the
 win is achieved by training, conditioning, partnership, and greatness.  Not
 to say that winners of endurance don't have to have all of that, too -- I'm
 just saying, that in most cases, any of 5 horses could win a particular
 ride, and the win generally goes to the team with the most competitive
 rider, the one who is willing to ask that much more of his/her horse.

I believe you're confusing stupidity with athletic capability and
competitiveness. Why ask your horse to finish top ten, if that's your
position? Why not finish a happy, sanctimonious 30th? Then you can look down
your nose at 29 riders rather than just a couple. I'm very pleased to hear
that none of your horses have ever been lame. The rest of us have a lot to
learn from you. Avoiding finishing first is the key? The winner of the
President's Cup came out sound as a $100 bill--and he'd won a few before he
was purchased for UAE competition. Same for the second place horse. I'll pass
on your advice to Sheikh Tahnoon, though, just in case he's concerned about
your looking down your nose at him. Interesting concept--finishing tenth
saves horses--I'll ask Jim Rooney what he thinks--maybe you've got something
there.

ti